Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Healthy Baby Eating

When my daughter was young, I happily pureed her food up and she happily ate it up. I would spend hours in the kitchen on Wed nights (my night "off") making her all kinds of steamed, baked and cooked fresh, healthy food.

As she grew older and could manage finger foods, I found myself stuck on what to make for her that was easy, quick, healthy and would actually be consumed. Sweet potato puree? No problem. Sweet potato chunks. On the floor. Thus, my battle to get her to eat the same foods she happily (and will still happily) ate all mushed up to eat in the adult version. (Oh, have I mentioned I won't eat any of these...I hate veggies and I'm striving SO hard to make sure my daughter doesn't fall into the same category. My husband loves veggies and probably misses them dreadfully living with me. I hope she'll take after him.)

I've become inspired to find and make something she'll enjoy beyond pancakes and pasta. I REFUSE to raise a chicken nugget and pizza bagel eater! I was turned on to Baby Lunchbox by my cousin. This woman packs a mean lunch for her daughter! Such a wide range of food and a lot of different offerings to take advantage of her daughters mood...she has inspired me to think beyond what I would do. Today, for example, I cooked up her turkey apple sausage patty (Whole Foods) and added some organic cranberry jelly to it. Never would have thought of that before, but looking at how Baby Lunchbox combines different foods, I was inspired. How inspired my daughter will be yet remains to be seen.

I'm also on a quest to "hide" the veggies in her meal. Pasta is easy. The peas get in by accident. Today I shredded carrot into egg and cheese. Not sure how that will go. Sent back up just in case. I do have the Jessica Seinfeld book and have to start paying more attention to it. My other argument, besides getting the veggies is, is that I want her to enjoy them in their natural form.

I spent some time online seeing what else I could find and hit pay dirt with Weelicious. I'm envious of the array of food she prepares (and even more envious that her son eats it!). Of course, I can't help but wonder...stay at home mom? My time is so limited that I need quick and healthy or things over the weekend I can prepare in advance or that prepares large portions that I can add to (hence the pasta). I'll try not to judge you Weelicious!

I will continue my quest and post links to great sites I found. I also checked some books out of my local library for inspiration. I want to inspire this little generation of a potential foodie in my house.

No comments: