Monday, November 17, 2008

My Savior: Spaghetti Squash

I now love spaghetti squash (which, in my 38 years of live, I have never had...and have to say, not bad). The easiest thing in the world to cook (nuke for 12 minutes, cut open, scoop out seeds and scoop out strands). Add some butter, sauce, cheese either all together or individually and my child loved it. It was also great to "hide" in other foods...Chinese noodles, regular pasta, whatever she was eating. I'm so happy to get a vegetable in her I did a little dance. I now have this and peas! Up next, carrots.

I have a stack of baby/toddler cookbooks I took out of the library sitting on my desk to copy recipes (I'm always so happy when I remember the library...I save so much money on books). The hardest thing is to get beyond myself. I turned my nose at some recipes, but have to stop that. Just because I won't eat it doesn't mean my child can't try it or won't love it. I think that's the hardest aspect of parenting...taking yourself out of the equation and letting your child form their own opinion and judgements on anything, not just food. And maybe, she won't be 1/2 as opinionated as her mother!

No comments: